For issues or questions with the online registration form, please call CANDLES at 812.234.7881 or email email@example.com.
Teacher Scholarship Application
2021 Annual Auschwitz Trip July 10-18
The CANDLES Auschwitz trip offers individuals the valuable learning experience of traveling to Auschwitz to hear Eva Kor’s extraordinary journey through her audio tour, learn the history of authentic sites with professional guides, and become a witness to the healing power of forgiveness in order to be the change that the world needs.
This scholarship is open to individuals who have worked as licensed teachers (including guidance counselors and library/media specialists), principals, and assistant principals in public and private schools since at least August 2016. Also eligible is any individual who works with youth or adults in a setting where teaching Holocaust education can change a life. Former scholarship recipients are not eligible to reapply until three years after the award was given, and former recipients are not given special consideration for selection. CANDLES offers this support as a way to encourage personal and professional growth, as well as contribute to overall student and public understanding of the value of learning lessons of the Holocaust to create kinder and more equitable communities for all people.
CANDLES will award up to three (3) scholarships, each not to exceed $2,000, submitted as outlined on the following pages. Application materials will be judged on clarity, substance, and overall appeal. Preference will be given to those that propose meaningful and creative ways to educate students and/or the general public and demonstrate an understanding of the relevance of Holocaust education. Proposals that integrate multiple subjects/disciplines are encouraged.
You may submit your scholarship application in one of two ways.
1) Complete the online form below and attach all necessary documents.
2) Print the application and mail a complete copy of all application materials to:
CANDLES Holocaust Museum and Education Center
Leah Simpson, Executive Director
1532 South Third Street
Terre Haute, IN 47802
COMMITMENT TO CANDLES*
1) Scholarship recipients are required to submit a five-minute video presentation promoting and sharing why this trip was meaningful to them and why others should consider attending. This requirement should be completed and submitted to CANDLES no later than six months after trip completion.
2) Scholarship recipients will also be required to write a summary that reflects his/her utilization of their trip experience to a classroom, workshop, or special presentation setting. Participant should include data collected post implementation of lessons and/or units that reflect on the impact students feel of the importance of learning about the Holocaust. This requirement should be completed and submitted to CANDLES no later than one-year after trip completion.
SELECTION PROCEDURE AND SCHEDULE
1) Without exception, applications must be postmarked or hand-delivered to CANDLES by 4:00 p.m. EST on Friday, November 13, 2020. An impartial panel will review proposals. No panel member will be allowed to review or vote on a proposal of a friend, relative, colleague, or acquaintance.
2) Recipients will be notified by Friday, December 4, 2020 and should accept or decline the award by Friday, December 11. You should apply for your passport at this time if you do not already possess one. The cost of obtaining a passport is not included in your scholarship award. CANDLES office must have your passport copy in hand by March 12, 2021.
1) A nonrefundable deposit of $600 will be required by January 8, 2021. This will be applied to the balance remaining after scholarship funds are distributed. Payments may be made with cash, check, money order, debit card, Visa or Mastercard. All payments with credit or debit card will incur a 3% fee.
2) Upon being chosen to receive a CANDLES educator scholarship, an amount not to exceed $2,000.00 will be applied as a payment to your trip account.
3) Final payment of balance owed is due on or before March 12, 2021.
Individuals will be responsible for airfare/transportation from their original destination (other than Terre Haute, IN) to Chicago/O'Hare, trip insurance (if applicable), single room supplement (if applicable), and any gift shop merchandise. All monies will be applied directly through CANDLES only, and no reimbursements of any kind will be allocated. Participation in all scheduled activities is expected.
*By submitting an application, you are agreeing to the terms set forth and are expected to complete the requirements as specified. Failure to comply with these requirements will indicate your willingness to either forfeit your scholarship award or repay the amount awarded.